What should my Chicken Sitter Know?

Catalina

Songster
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Minnesota
I'm going to a wedding on the East Coast in Oct.
I'll be gone a week and I have a family that's agreed to take care of my chickens.
I've started a To Do Daily List:

1 re-fill waterer
2 fill feeder

......?????
What else should they know?
I must do more with my chickens, 'cause I spend like hours and hours with them!
tongue.png

And my girls will be almost 14 weeks - so no eggs:(

Quote:
I second this one! Almost locked myself out of the main run yesterday, luckily I noticed the keychain hanging on the outer coop wall before I closed the lock!
lau.gif

Dawn

3. What your cleaning expectations are. And what to do with the accumulated poop. And what tools you use to clean.
4. Where you keep all the food and litter/bedding materials.
5. Where the hose is located.
6. Who to call in case of an emergency, and what constitutes one.
7. As mentioned before, lock-up procedure.
8. What to give as treats, and what not.

When we went to Philly, I had my sister watching Obelisk and Penny. I had extra waterers and one extra food dish, but it was more important for water, I thought.
I told her not to let them out no matter how much Obelisk complained.
And I said that she could have the eggs...she didn't take the eggs, but did everything else.

Make sure the ones sitting are responsible enough to realize the chickens health is in their hands while you are gone. They aren't just stupid chickens, like some folks think.

bigzio

Heaven forbid they need it, but let them know what to do in case one of the chickens expire.

Lock the gate, lock the gate, lock the gate...

Hi, I have had a professional petsitting business for 11 years and as a petsitter, i like to know:
Where the tap is, where is food kept, how much do they get each day, where the cleanup tools are, where to dump the waste. Emergency phone numbers, if you are unreachable by phone, the place where you are staying.
A close by friend or relative that can act on your behalf.
If you have a blackout, where is powerboard to reset switches. Which plants to water, where to put the mail.
Whether you are expecting people to enter your home/yard.
I have never had any major mishaps so please try and relax and enjoy your time away.
The chickens will be fine if they have access to water and food and a secure shelter.!!!!

Back
Top Bottom