what should my son show?

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
I need advice. my son wants to show this yr. Last yr he got disqualified for showing a mixed breed (it wasn't the breed we were told it was)
so I don't want him to be disappointed again this yr.
I have a silkie missing a toenail, I have a frizzled silkie (silkie body type/ wrong comb/ frizzles feathers) and blue laced red wyandottes which are not a qualifying color. I plan to show the blr as I know they won't win but to get them critiqued as far as type. he is too shy to do showmanship. I also have one bird that I bought that is a white wyandotte, beautiful but I'm not sure the breeder would be happy if I showed his bird against him.
what to do?

first of all, you bought the bird, it's yours now. If the breeder didn't want his birds to be shown against him he shouldn't have sold them. As a side note, breeders of SQ birds usually sell their culls, so for some reason or another he felt that bird wasn't SQ, so I wouldn't even think twice about NOT showing it if you wanted to.

What color is the silkie missing a toenail? That one is probably your best bet since you only lose a few points for a missing toenail. Don't show the frizzle. Youre asking to be dissapointed there. You could show the wyandottes, but like you said if they're not a qualifying color they won't do well.

Pictures would help.

my son this yr showed everything he could even if we knew they wouldn't do good. its a learning thing. and something went wrong with all of them. buff pullets stopped eating when put in show pen, never got them fattened up. Roo excaped and plucked RIR hen. and the Roo broke his beak, the stress caused him to loose his tail feathers.
But Son learned what the judging was about what they look for, caring for birds at show and made new friends.
42220_img_7385.jpg

and got 4 blues

bathed the silkie today, massive pin feathers. never seen so many. does anyone comb their silkies after a bath?

Back
Top Bottom