What should the brooder temp be the second week?

Hennypen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
My chicks hatched Wed and Thurs of last week. They seem to be moving away from the heat lamp now. (Before they were pretty close to it.)

I heard the temp gets lowered a little each week. What should it be now?

start at 95 and move down five degrees each week. With the way the weather has been this week, you may not need the lamp, depending on where your at. I have 3 week olds that are not even sitting under the lamp because of the heat this week.

idunno.gif

Quote:
If you started out at 95 deg, then you should be at 90. I have read you are supposed to lower it 5 deg each week. That being said, if it is very warm out, and they are moving away from the light, they might be too warm. Where are you located? If it's warm enough, you might not need a heat light, maybe just a 100 watt lightbulb.
Anyone else??
idunno.gif

Jen

You can just watch your chicks & let them tell you what they need. If you put the heat source at one end of their brooder box they can decide how close/far they need to be for optimal comfort. Throughout the day they should be spending some time getting warm then going off to explore the further corners of their world. If all they do is huddle under the heat, they need it to be cooler. If all they do is stay in the cooler corners, they need it to be warmer. As they grow they may only need the heat at night.

Back
Top Bottom