What size brooder?

they do not stay chick size for very long.. use whatever formula you would use for a full grown chicken..

offhand I would say 4 sq feet per bird..

..jiminwisc........

4 feet per chick ? I would have to give them a room in my house !
smack.gif

I had 26 in a stock tank which was about 2 1/2 foot by 6 foot. They were fine for at least 3 weeks.
jumpy.gif

I have a shed that is about 10x10. when they get older they could have about 80 sq ft of it. In the mean time, they could have a very cozy garage like area that is about 6x5. Not quite 4 sq ft per bird but maybe when they are small, like up to 6 weeks? I am kind of new to raising chicks so please forgive any obvious wrong headedness on my part. oh yeah, I plan to keep them in a 4'x2'x18" container with screens over the top and a heat lamp for the first couple weeks.

Last edited:
i sent you a pm,the 10x10 will be perfect after they feather out but you will still need a couple lights and make sure there are no drafts

your container will work fine until they feather out then just move them to your 10 x 10 shed. may need to put a heat lamp out there with them depending on your weather.

It's supposed to get semi-cold this year, you know, for Memphis, TN
wink.png
,but I will be using a heat lamp for them come Jan.; probably through Feb. just to keep the stress low even after they feather out.

Back
Top Bottom