What size cages do I need for fox, coyotes and raccoons?

fishnick2401

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Hi, Needed help. Wasn't sure what size cages I need to catch fox,coyote, and raccoon? Have a problem with them. They've been getting to many of our chickens. The other night something got in the barn and took 40+ baby chickens during the night. Tonight something took off with one of our turkeys, she weighed a good 40+lbs. easy. Enough is enough I gotta take care of this problem. Any help would be great.

well you want a large trap for fox or coyotes but only need a medium trap for coons, though I would imagine you can use a large trap for them it may not work as well, as they will have a lot of room and may be able to get around the trap mechanism that shuts the door. All you have to do is tell who ever you buy the trap from what you are trying to trap and they will help you find the right trap for it.

12"X12"X30" Is fine for the coon 15"X18"X42-48" Will work for grey fox and smaller bobcat you will have a really hard time getting a red fox or coyote in a cage it is possible but you will need a larger trap that is open on both ends camouflaged well and not set in a place that is confined somewhere that is really wide open live bait works best ( illegal in most localities) the absolute best bait is another animal in a trap. most folks will use a foot hold trap be cause it is alot quicker to catch a yote or red fox there are foot hold traps avaiable that are padded with rubber ( google soft catch) good luck

Last edited:
I trap predators with .22 magnum hollow points, but then I live ouit in the country. I the last year, I've killed four gray fox, two possoms, two or three coon, and a couple of skunks. Note of advice: N-E-V-E-R shoot a skunk upwind of your house.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom