What size coop is big enough for 10 chickens?

MISS MILLIE

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
PA
Hi, my husband is building our first coop. I think we went a little chicken crazy and got 10 when we only planned to get 3 bantams, but ah well. He built three nesting boxes which stick out the back to give it more floor space. So, is a 4x6 coop big enough if the chickens are to be free range most of the time?

That actually sounds pretty tight. Around here on BYC, all I've ever heard is 4 sq ft/chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft/chicken in the run. (These numbers are for standards) Less than that and I've heard you start to have problems with the birds pecking at each other and so forth...

Last edited:
3-4 q ft in the coop, 10 sq ft + in the run, now if they have access to coop + run at all times add the space together. I have 1 bantam mille fleur and 3 RIR's. The RIR's harass that bantam at what seems to be all times. She runs away, sleeps on top of the nesting boxes and no longer on the roost because the others peck at her constantly and they have about 120 sq ft so 4 times the recommended minimum so sometimes your chickens will just do as they please despite the palatial conditions you provide!

It sounds like bantams from the original post...in which case, you're probably just fine on the size. I think the ratio is 2 sq/ft per bantam.

ETA - oops...just read your sig line. Might be a little tight for ten standards.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom