What size does my run need to be for 14 chickens?

Quote:
Actual a 8x10 garden shed would be equal to 80 sqaure feet. You always multiply the deminsions by each other to get the amount of square feet you have. So basically if you follow the rule of thumb about the amount of 4 square feet per chickens in a coop you would have enough room for 20 chickens in a 10x8 coop.

Hope this helps with your situation.

Last edited:
I would think with tractors (I don't have one) they're moved around often, and all the 'new ground' would keep the chickens happy, occupied and busy and would prevent problems. Also, if you have banties, you could get away with more in less space.

Quote:
The rule of thumb for the coop is 4 square feet per bird, not a square four feet per side - that would be 16 square feet per bird!

An 8x10 shed would be room enough for 20 birds using the 4 square feet per bird rule. 8x10 = 80 sq. ft.

At least that's my understanding from perusing this site...

I'm sorry, I never was good at math. I realized my mistake last night just as the lights went out. No, in the house silly. By the time the power came on I forgot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a smiley face with a wet noodle whip? Hope you still love me.
hit.gif

hugs.gif
It's okay! We all forgive you.
My coop currently houses 4 bantams, 3 ducklings, and 4 standard pullets. It's 4x8, with a 6x18 run. So, according to the rule of thumb, I have enough space for 7.5 chickens in my run, and 8 chickens in my coop. My bantams are like less than half the size of my standards, so I give them 2ft. inside and 5ft. outside. I'm selling my ducklings as soon as they get their feathers.

I read this thread with interest and a bit of amusement...I kept shouting at the computer "4 square feet is NOT 4 feet squared!" Obviously you heard me...lol...all the way form Canada
big_smile.png
I'm not known for being quiet. *blush

My husband is of the opinion that bigger is better, always, and for the 4 hens we'll have I'm trying to convince him that a coop 4' x 6' will be plenty big. He wants to go at least 4' x 8'. My concern is that here in the frozen north more space is just more area for the girls to keep warm. Ideas? Am I wrong in thinking this, or have I missed something?

Quote:
A 4 x 6 would be plenty big enough for 4 chickens. But I'll play devils' advocate...are you insulating (you mentioned frozen north)? You lose about 8 inches length/width if you are. Will this be a building that you will walk into (like a shed)? Then even with just two nest boxes and some perches, it will be very tight. Are you SURE that you will restrict yourself to 4 chickens?

IMO you're correct in that a smaller, tighter space makes sense in winter. But I like a little wiggle room...and you can always use the extra space for storage. Plus, most plywood and such is already set up for 4 x 8.

I'll be interested to read other's opinions.

Quote:
A 4 x 6 would be plenty big enough for 4 chickens. But I'll play devils' advocate...are you insulating (you mentioned frozen north)? You lose about 8 inches length/width if you are. Will this be a building that you will walk into (like a shed)? Then even with just two nest boxes and some perches, it will be very tight. Are you SURE that you will restrict yourself to 4 chickens?

IMO you're correct in that a smaller, tighter space makes sense in winter. But I like a little wiggle room...and you can always use the extra space for storage. Plus, most plywood and such is already set up for 4 x 8.

I'll be interested to read other's opinions.

I was thinking the same thing... why waste 2 feet of a 4x8 sheet... 4x8 leaves no scrap and the cost of the little bit of extra material for roofing etc. will probably be minimal.

Oh my goodness! I have chickens and ducks and I'm very confused, not that it takes alot for this to happen, lol. I have one coop, pre made building 30x40 and have chickens and pigeons in it. I have 50 hens and 3 roosters, 12 muscovys and lord knows how many pigeons( they are always bringing friends home lol). My outside run for the chickens and ducks is the same size as the coop. I was told along time ago that this was how it needed to be. Reason being is that if you watch these birds, where one is the rest are not far behind. Little packs of bug catchers lol.

Back
Top Bottom