what size feed/waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ebonykawai, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

They all seem like they accomodate 100 chickens! What should I get for my little flock of 4? Links would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I got a 4 gallon water jug and a 10 pound feeder and it doesent last as long as you would expect i got them from www.meyerhatchery.com and they are a sponsor from BYC.

Henry

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have the plastic 1 gallon waterer for my 2 (formerly 3) chickens, it seems about the right size as long as you want to refill it most every day in summer. If not you could go with the 3 gallon one.

I made my own hanging feeder out of a plastic ice cream tub and plastic dish and old squirrel baffle (you can see it in the background of the second picture on this page ) which holds enough food for 2 winter-hungry chickens for, gee I dunno, maybe 5-7 days.

Hope this helps,

Pat

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Have you thought about making your own? There are some great examples of feeders and waterers in the Learning Center. Places like Tractor Supply, Southern States etc sell 1 gallon size feeders and waterers that would work well for a small flock. You could also try eggbid.com or ebay.

Here's a link to the 1 gal waterer at Tractor Supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_34414_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Having started with 6 pullets, I have two 7# feeders and a 1 gallon waterer in my coop (to make sure everyone could eat at the same time without fights). Outside the coop, I have a few waters in the areas most visited by the girls, plus they'll drink out of the horse troughs when they can. During the summer I had waterers in virtually every place that they took refuge from the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by