What size hardware cloth in bottom of dog crate? (broody jail)

chickie22

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
New York
Aiming to break two broody orpingtons...

I have read multiple times that it is more effective to take out the plastic tray, put down hardware cloth, and elevate the crate.

Currently, I just put a piece of cardboard down in the tray to help with poo clean-up.

I have a roll of 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth. Is that a safe size to use? Also, I am worried about sharp edges and it not laying flat. It is a new, unopened, & tightly rolled. Thoughts?

Has anyone else had success sticking with the plastic tray?

Thanks.

I've used the bottom of a wire doge cage with nothing inserted. It did not harm the hen.

Some hardware cloth has sharp nubs on it that can rip up a chickens feet. Those come from the manufacturing process. Those nubs are going to be on one side, not both, so install the smooth side up. Carefully, very carefully rub your hand on it to see if that is an issue with what you have.

A full grown hen's poop will not fall through 1/2" hardware cloth. With my full sized fowl chicks usually somewhere after 3 months the poop gets too big to fall through. It will fall through 1" hardware cloth. You might put a plastic bin or two under the cage to collect the poop. That makes clean-up really easy.

You might use zip ties to get it to lay flat and hold it in place. I don't have any thoughts on the sharp edges.

Depending on the size of the crate. I haven't used hardwire as they have figured out how to stand on thier own. But you would probably want at least and inch or smaller. Feel both sides over side should be smother then the other, and place it smooth side up. Unfortunately you are going to need to take the plywood out as the whole point is the air under thier butt preventing them from warming anything. If it's hot where you are you need to keep at least water in the cage with them. Remove them from the cage 1-2 times a day to eat and. stretch after about 15-30 minutes check on them. If they have gone back to the nests put then back in the cage. If they have not gone back to the nest check again in 30-60 minutes, same thing in the nest go to the box not in the nest back to the flock.

I think most hardwire cages use about 1/2 inch

I've used the bottom of a wire doge cage with nothing inserted. It did not harm the hen.

Some hardware cloth has sharp nubs on it that can rip up a chickens feet. Those come from the manufacturing process. Those nubs are going to be on one side, not both, so install the smooth side up. Carefully, very carefully rub your hand on it to see if that is an issue with what you have.

A full grown hen's poop will not fall through 1/2" hardware cloth. With my full sized fowl chicks usually somewhere after 3 months the poop gets too big to fall through. It will fall through 1" hardware cloth. You might put a plastic bin or two under the cage to collect the poop. That makes clean-up really easy.

You might use zip ties to get it to lay flat and hold it in place. I don't have any thoughts on the sharp edges.

Thank you. Great info & suggestions!

I have been known to fill a gallon sized zipper bag with water and then freeze (while laying flat). Once frozen I will put it in their favorite nest box. It only took my buff orp two days until she realized she didn't want to be broody anymore.:eek:

I just turn my crate over so the top becomes the bottom, the wire is closer together on the top. It works fine for my birds. I put mine in the run, so I cover the top (which was the bottom) with a towel or blanket so the other birds don't fall through or poop on the captive, because they WILL be on top of the crate. It only covers the top, so plenty of air circulation.

You could attach the hardware cloth on the outside of the bottom of the crate so it can be cut slightly larger than the floor and you aren't left with any poking ends inside for your girl to sit/step on.

I just turn my crate over so the top becomes the bottom, the wire is closer together on the top. It works fine for my birds. I put mine in the run, so I cover the top (which was the bottom) with a towel or blanket so the other birds don't fall through or poop on the captive, because they WILL be on top of the crate. It only covers the top, so plenty of air circulation.
Nice! Thanks for commenting. I was actually thinking to try that. Glad to hear it worked well for you!

Back
Top Bottom