What size quarantine for single chicken?

ChapelChickens

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2019
Hello, I've looked through several posts and can't find any recommendations for what size quarantine container is adequate for a single chicken, and a few other details. I am rescuing a hen from my brother's flock -- his entire flock got killed by a coyote except for this survivor and he doesn't want this poor single hen to be lonely and cold over the winter, so I said I would take her. I have seven hens in an already established flock. All chickens -- mine and his -- are around the same age, 2 years. My plan is to set up a 36" x 24" x 25" folding dog crate for her main shelter and keep her in our garage (warm, dry, safe) for at least two weeks to make sure she's healthy, and then set her up with a small fenced yard adjacent to my other chickens (and move the crate out there, covered) so she can get some outside time and they can all start to get acquainted for another week or so before moving her crate into the main coop for more up-close acclimation, before finally integrating them all before Christmas.

My questions are:
* Is that size adequate for a single chicken? I intend to use it as the chicken hospital in the future.
* Is it OK for a single hen to be kept in just this cage for two weeks (or longer) -- I worry that it's too small for this free-ranger not used to containment. Would it be better to set her up with a small yard initially, separate from my other girls? I don't have a second secure, roofed run area for her and I worry she'd escape before she knows where 'home' is. I'm mostly just thinking of her need for exercise, etc.
* Any other advice?

Thank you!

I have used a pet carrier in the past. Now I have a coop and pen I use for those purposes. She could probably use some TLC. Good luck...

The other birds may pick on her when you do combine them. There are some different things you can try. Put her in the coop after everyone has went to roost, or if you free range let her out and distract everyone with treats. It is a good idea to put her next to them for awhile before you put her in with the others. Integrating one bird into an existing flock can be tricky. Again, good luck and have fun...

Thank you! So the consensus is that she will be OK confined to that small space for a few weeks? She's basically moving the Chicken Ritz so she'll definitely get some TLC!

If I was getting a hen from my brother, not too far away, I would not worry about the quarantine, unless he had a disease problem.

However, adding one to 7 can be tricky. I would advise adding one of your hens to this newbie and keep them together for a bit. They will probably have a dust up or two, but give it a week, and they should be good. Then add a pair to them, wait a day, then add them all back into the coop.

MRs K

Hmm, sizewise, it should be ok. Though if you have room for it, I'd aim for something a little bigger (like 4x4 is really good for one chicken for a while, with room for food, water and even a roost) just to give her more space to move plus food & water. If that's not possible, she'll survive, even if she's a bit cranky about it.

If I was getting a hen from my brother, not too far away, I would not worry about the quarantine, unless he had a disease problem.

However, adding one to 7 can be tricky. I would advise adding one of your hens to this newbie and keep them together for a bit. They will probably have a dust up or two, but give it a week, and they should be good. Then add a pair to them, wait a day, then add them all back into the coop.

MRs K
Thank you! Great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom