What size should my coop be

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mr chicken dude, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    How big should my coop be for 6 hens plus one rooster..

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Standard sized?? About 28 sq. feet. If you're in an area that gets cold winters, more would be better, because they would spend more time inside during winter months.

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

The minimum recommended by most BYC'ers is 4 sq feet per bird. So your seven chickens (including rooster) should have a minimum of 28 square feet for coop size, 10 sq ft per bird for run = 70 sq ft minimum for your run. Bigger is always better. Your birds will love it more, and you will have room to expand in the future:)

4. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Build as big as you can afford to. There are very few among us who haven't wanted a larger coop after we got hooked on the hobby. Again, if you can afford it, build big enough to incorporate an area to store food and supplies.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    One of our coops is 4x4 and the plans say it can hold up to 8 chickens. You can see it on my BYC page. It cost us about $300 for supplies. The plans are free. I'll give you the link if you want it. It is the coop that is finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by