what size trap

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by t/m, Jul 30, 2011.

1. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    What size live trap do we need? I know we have coons, 'possums, foxes (saw dead one on road 1/2 mile from us) and ground hogs don't know about weasels. Harbor Freight has them on sale 'till tomorrow. Medium (1 door) = 32 1/2L x 10W x13 H. Large (1 door) = 37 L x 12 W x 13 H. TSC has a large size with a free small one (squirrel size?) don't know dimensions of their large. Anyway will a smaller animal trigger a larger trap? Hints on using them will be appreciated also!! And what do you do with the dead body? We're not going to re-locate them for someone else to have to deal with.

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I got the 1089 havahart from homedepot for $45.Saw it on amazon for $41.
    Size is 32”L x 10”W x 12"H

I have caught coons,possums,groundhogs,squirrels,and one cutie cotton tail bunny.

I just bought the little trap at harbor frieght for chipmunks and it never caught a thing.

I have read complaints with my trap and the ones you mentioned.I have been happy with mine.I think I read good stuff on duke traps.I got prices from them,and they were a decent cost,but I wanted something that day.Try the traps,and return to the store if you don't like them. I did add zip ties to the back door,so the animals could not pop it open.
    Some traps are so cheaply made the animals tear right through them.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Get the biggest you can find.
    An animal will go into a trap too large, but NOT into one too small

4. Shawnee_b

Shawnee_b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    I ordered some Duke dog proof coon traps, I'll have them next week and will post results.

I also have a 36 x 12 x 12 made locally. Nice trap but the coons are still tripping it, stacking and blocking it or something.

I have the 2 pack from TSC. The larger TSC one is 10 x 12' on the rear. I also covered the back 12' on all sides of both traps with 1/2" hardware cloth over the mesh as the coons were reaching thru. (The rear of the chewed up one in the pic now has 1/2" on back too but you can see it on the sides.) Notice it even bent the trip plate. I believe the TSC is an "advantec" but not sure. Havahart is a reputable name brand but I have had no real experience with one.

Here's what a coon did to the larger TSC trap in the set.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by