What size trashcans, will hold a 50 lb bag of feed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wannabchick, Feb 28, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Songster

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I ask this because I want to put some of those steel trashcans with feed and such in one of the coops
    My issue is I don't want to take up so much space

I saw 6 gallon trashcans that look as if I could mount them on the walls? And fill those with what I need

But how much does a 6 gallon trashcans hold..if I purchase 50 lb feed bags

I can't imagine running back and forth from coop to house to coop to house when it's feeding time

Thank u

2. Knittycat

Knittycat Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    A 10 gallon can should hold 50lbs of feed

3. wannabchick

wannabchick Songster

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Thanks I didn't want to order to large of trashcans if I don't have too

Mmmnnnnnn,wondering now if I should just get one big one and stick the bags in just one
    Mmmnnnnnn

Thinking...thinking...thinking...
    Lol

4. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Songster

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] That is what we use.

1 person likes this.
  5. wannabchick

wannabchick Songster

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:[​IMG] That is what we use.

Thanku....thank u

6. Sorin

Sorin Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I bought these trash cans at the TSC and they work perfect, I think they were 18 gallons, but I'm not sure. They always have them there though. When I put my feed in there there is about 3 inches left at the top!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use the ones sold at Home Depot (full size trash cans). I have 7 of them in my garage for seeds and grains.

8. weazel922

weazel922 In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2011
    Topeka, KS
    I just bought a 10 gallon and filled it with a 50# bag of feed.

It does fit, but there is NO room left over at the top. Essentially I'll have to wait until it's completely empty before adding another bag. But I suppose that is easier than trying to reach all the way to the bottom of a full size can to dip food out.

I got mine at ACE Hardware fro $19.99. The lid has a nice airtight fit and the handle lifts up over the lid and locks it in. So I do like those features.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  9. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Be careful not to put new feed on top of old. Old feed will lay in bottom and get stall. Need to rotate the stock.

10. greenriver

greenriver Songster

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    I like a bigger can that a bag will fit down into standing on end. I dip what I need out of the bag so when I change to another bag there is always a clean can. The last bit in the old bag will fit along side the new bag.

imnukensc likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: