what size/type of net should I get to catch chickens

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
I have a bunch of young Gamefowl, and they are lightning quick. I know that despite my best efforts there will be escapees and those who try to roost in trees. Does anyone know what size of net I need? Does anyone have a good chicken-net that they could recommend?
wink.png

Well if your fast enough to catch them on foot, cause they are fast, a would recommend a net with a long handle and littler holes in the net so they cant hurt themselves.

No matter what kind of net you get you'll have more success trying to catch them after dark. Watch where they go to roost & wait until nightfall to try to eliminate a LOT of running around. Also try training them to come when they hear the sound of scratch grains rattling in a can. Often it's easier to call them to come to you, then toss some grain in their pen or in an open cage and let them go in by themselves.

I'm learning to work around the chicken'ness of my girls. If I wait half an hour later in the evening they are much calmer and so easy to deal with. and if they are let out to forage in the garden I plan on using special treats to lure them into their pen. of course if I could figure out how to put them on a leash..... lol I get crazy thought's !

I have four barred rock pullets, five production red pullets, and a Dominecker rooster. I round them up with a scotch on the rocks and a pool noodle. So far, so good.
DD

I just bought a net from Premier1 and I think it is about 18 by 24 inches. It seemed alot bigger in person than I thought. Haven't used it yet, but today my sister is coming to pick up her 8 week old pullets that I have been growing for her and since my chicks are still scaredof everything, I may have to use it. Will let you know how it goes. This net is flat on one side, so don't know how it would work getting them out of trees. The handle is 4 foot long with the net being 2 foot.

Quote:
gig.gif
Now I have a mental picture of you & your chickens relaxing poolside, all sipping drinks, with some of the birds perched on the pool noodle floating in the water, taking turns diving gracefully off of it to swim to the edge and refill their glasses. Finally, you stand & stretch and say "All right, time to go roost" and all the chickens walk contentedly back to their coop for the night.

welcome-byc.gif

Although I hate shopping at Walmart for anything and try to avoid them at all costs, they do have the cheapest fishing nets, so that's where I got mine. It cost $12 and the netting is soft, so it won't hurt my girls. The next size down has a smaller net, shorter handle and cost about $7, but was not a good choice. It's worth a few bucks more to go with the bigger one.

Back
Top Bottom