What size wire for broody cage?????????????

Qi Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
I got a 2 level ferret cage from ferret nation on craigs list for the broody hens to feel air up their bums. The wire is nice and strong but maybe 1/2 inch by three inch spaces? I think their feet could get stuck? Is this ok or how to fix it? Please answer as I have 2 other sick chickens and two broodies and I have about had it with these damndable chickens. They are stressing me out.

From what I have read they are supposed to have a wire cage as the air can hit their stomachs and they will go out of broody mode. I don't know as I have never had one. Can I put a floor on (without shavings) and have it still work?

You could try a section of 1/4" hardware cloth. That should give good cool air flow and be enough of a surface to walk on for the time they will stay in the cage.

I use rabbit hutches for my broody breaker and it has 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth for a floor--no problems with toes, but it's small enough that the poo won't fall thru so I still have to scoop it out daily.
sickbyc.gif

ETA: I have all LF/DP chooks, might be better off with the 1/4" if you have bantams.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Unless you are desperate for the eggs, if you ignore those broodies, they'll eventually get over it on their own, too. Or, you can toss them out in the yard a couple of times a day, to help them get over it. This helps more if you do it right away, before they really get into it. It's also helpful to collect eggs right away, so they don't have anything to set on.

Whatever you want to do is fine, I just wanted to offer other suggestions for you, since you sound stressed out about it and have other chicken issues to deal with. Not everyone needs every possible egg. Sometimes it's better to not have one more thing to deal with.

hugs.gif

Quote:
I agree. That's what I do. Much easier.

Everybody has to do what they're comfortable with, but it's not always about getting that one more egg. I prefer to break mine because I don't like them getting run down for nothing. I bring my broody girls a scrambled egg a couple of times a week to help keep them in condition, but a broody hen sitting on nothing can stay broody for a really long time and I find it much simpler to put them in a broody breaker for a few day then to worry about keeping their stubborn fuzzy butt selves in condition and parasite free.

Back
Top Bottom