what snacks can 2 month old chicks have and what can they not eat

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thewolf1039, Apr 16, 2017.

1. thewolf1039

thewolf1039 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2017
    i have 2 month old chicks and i love to give them treats
    but i dont know what they can eat and what they can not eat [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Most of the stuff they can't have they won't eat. My chickens, and chicks love fruit, most vegetables, any grain

3. bechicken

bechicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2016
    Freeze dried Meal worms is what mine love. The babys and the ones I'm waiting to start laying.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

6. Barred Rockin

Barred Rockin Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    Bella Vista, Arkansas
    You all are so helpful. Thank you.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's better to hold off on treats for awhile. They should be eating their nutritionally sound chick feed. Chicks are like kids, they prefer treats to healthy stuff. Give them a chance to grow up some as chickens. Treats and extras should not exceed 10% of what they do eat.

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    As much as I love my friend @drumstick diva I have to disagree with her on this. Watch a broody hen with her chicks when she takes them out into the big world a few days after hatching. She's not examining every food they pick up. She's not peeling and coring apples for them, checking greens for bugs, or any of that. She doesn't get upset because they are laying in dirt, scratching in the dirt, or eating dirt. If you toss a bucket of scraps in the main coop or run, she'll charge over getting her share, and the chicks will be eating whatever it is right beside her. So I'm not quite as particular. Treats are indeed like candy to a kid, but as long as the majority of their diet is what's in their feed dish, they should be fine. Treats are for occasional...and be sure they have access to grit if they are eating anything besides chick food. Mine get it from the clump of sod I toss in the brooder when they are just a few days old, and from being raised out in the run in a pen right along with the Big girls.

9. thewolf1039

thewolf1039 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2017
    thank you so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by