What sort of combs are these?

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
What do you think on these 3 mixed breed 8 week old chicks?
Father is a walnut comb bearded silkie. Mothers are either rose comb wyandotte or single comb mottled pekin. I thought walnut comb was a combination of all comb genes so the chicks would then inherit their mother's comb? They look like cushions to me. And P has a bump on the front like a tiny pea. I'm fairly certain PG's mother is the wyandotte because she has splash in her. And W has the same face. But P has really feathery feet and a weird comb so I'm wondering if he is half pekin? Also what sex do you think they are?

20201019_215125.jpg

20201019_215107.jpg
20201019_215205.jpg

they are just a little bump though?
Copied and pasted from another site....
"A walnut comb is large, irregular and knobby, and the basic walnut genetics make up a lot of other comb types, such as the cushion and strawberry.
A cushion comb looks like a very small rose comb without the point, or a pea comb without the peas.There are simply modifiers than can make the walnut comb appear as a small, smooth cushion comb, a slightly larger strawberry comb, or the large bumpy walnut comb. Silkies are said to have the basic walnut... but silkie comb genetics get a little complex, actually, and depending on whether you have bearded or unbearded (and what is in the background), you may technically have a modified rose comb/trifid comb OR a walnut comb. Or maybe some other variations in there, too. If we had to guess why there's so much variation, we'd guess that because the most obvious characteristic of the Silkie is its fluffy, fur-like feathers, as different colors have been developed, the genetic make-up of the comb was probably less important. Silkie hens' crests are often hidden beneath the crest, too. You can usually see Silkie roosters' combs once they become mature, though."

non-bearded silkie rooster

Copied and pasted from another site....
"A walnut comb is large, irregular and knobby, and the basic walnut genetics make up a lot of other comb types, such as the cushion and strawberry.
A cushion comb looks like a very small rose comb without the point, or a pea comb without the peas.There are simply modifiers than can make the walnut comb appear as a small, smooth cushion comb, a slightly larger strawberry comb, or the large bumpy walnut comb. Silkies are said to have the basic walnut... but silkie comb genetics get a little complex, actually, and depending on whether you have bearded or unbearded (and what is in the background), you may technically have a modified rose comb/trifid comb OR a walnut comb. Or maybe some other variations in there, too. If we had to guess why there's so much variation, we'd guess that because the most obvious characteristic of the Silkie is its fluffy, fur-like feathers, as different colors have been developed, the genetic make-up of the comb was probably less important. Silkie hens' crests are often hidden beneath the crest, too. You can usually see Silkie roosters' combs once they become mature, though."
Thank you for that. That's why I thought they might have cushions.

1st is pullet, others are cockerels.
Combs will probably be combos, time will tell.

Thanks. I really want the blue to be a pullet, but I keep changing my mind as to my opinion on these. I was convinced P was a girl but now she is getting more boyish, for example!

Do you still think girl for PG with this feather pattern? I think it will be red laced blue or blue laced red (whichever!) in the end, perhaps, if the wyandotte is the mother.
20201019_162150.jpg

Thanks. I really want the blue to be a pullet, but I keep changing my mind as to my opinion on these. I was convinced P was a girl but now she is getting more boyish, for example!

Do you still think girl for PG with this feather pattern? I think it will be red laced blue or blue laced red (whichever!) in the end, perhaps, if the wyandotte is the mother.
View attachment 2379613
I think cockerel, but it may still surprise you.

Back
Top Bottom