What sorts of animals should I raise?

safarichick101

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
College Station TX
I have chickens already. We have close to 3 acres and noise could be an issue. So our deed says we can have split hooved animals but no non split hooved (horses or donkeys) animals or poultry. But our city says we cannot have roosters so my mom made us give ours away. But according to the new restrictions we can have anything (except for ostriches and a rooster)
sad.png
I am basically looking for something(s) to raise. I realize that many of these would require a companion. I know it sounds sort of rotten of me but I would like to breed the animals. Also I would prefer that it be livestock and outdoor. I was thinking along the lines of outdoor potbellied pigs, goats, miniature donkeys, turkeys, or ducks. Noise could be a bit of a factor since we have a park behind our property, small suburban properties to one side, and larger acreage like ours to the other side and across from our house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muscovy ducks (quiet)
Pigs (read the new 2010 storey's guide, it's quite good)
Goats (meat or milking)
Sheep (milk or meat or wool)

What do you want to raise?

Whatever you do START SMALL. Don't get too mayn and find youreself swamped. I'm just a few years older than you and raise pigeons (oriental rollers), rabbits, and bantam chickens. We had a goat but she was lonely. I would definitley give pigeons a try. Just feed water and watch! They raise their own young and are individual personalities. Rabbits are sweet, can be in outdoor hutches. Um... That's all I got for now
smile.png

Try goats, they are cute, and you can get milk if you breed them, and if space is an issue you can get mini versions. Pigs are cute and so are bunnies. I love the mini donkey idea, hmm sound like fun!

Anything you set your mind to!
big_smile.png

When I was your age
old.gif
I took care of three tanksful of fish, eight chickens, five parakeets, and whatever neighbor was going away boarded their dogs at my house. It was always crazy but never boring
tongue.png

Google stuff- see what catches your fancy and research the heck out of it. I'm thinking that you won't be able to have too many mini donks on only two-ish acres of pasture, however- if you want to breed might want to go with something smaller.

Goats are a blast! You can have a huge herd- 25ish Nigierian Dwarves on two acres!

Whatever you decide, have fun!
big_smile.png

Oh- do you tend more toward birds or something larger?

My 13 year old daughter raises rabbits, chickens, quail, and a duck, helps with the goats, and we raised a squirrel together last year that was orphaned. Depends on the kid. If they are responsible and recognize that it is a life they have stewardship over....I say almost any animal.

Obviously, it depends on what your goals are. I would also suggest pigeons. Besides chickens, I keep white homing pigeons. They don't make noise, are beautiful, can outfly the hawks pretty well, and as zahboo said they raise their own young. I love watching them fly. My neighbors all love them too. You could also end up starting your own white dove release business. They don't really release doves, but white homing pigeons, and they charge plenty for a few hours work.

Back
Top Bottom