Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

being a little bit arachnophobic, i almost wet myself when i was picking up the last tomatoes and peppers and suddenly saw that huge spider right in front of my face:
full

Does anybody know what kind of spider that is? - And can it bite through human skin?

That is a lovely example of an Argiope spider. Possibly a Black and Yellow Argiope even though the yellow bands are slightly different from the ones I see here. There are several species found throughout US and Canada. This family of spiders is easy to identify by the zig-zag shape they weave into the web. They are not poisonous. The one in your picture is a fat female and will likely spin a egg sac soon. This is the best time of year to see them.

Here is a picture of another species of Argiope that I found in Hawaii this winter.

P1120570.JPG

I’d just call it a “garden spider” too. Generally they want bugs to land there for dinner. Yes, quite big, but not typically aggressive to us. If it was near to the human pathways, I would be inclined to take a stick and remove web and spider and transport to a more appropriate area away from where I would walk, but I wouldn’t kill it.

Back
Top Bottom