1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what tastes bad to chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickNjake, May 13, 2009.

1. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    I have discovered that the expensive Cochins I bought recently has an egg eater in the bunch.
    So far all I've done is put a whole bunch of fake eggs in there to attempt to fool them, but what I'm wondering is there something I can put an egg that will taste just bad enough to them for them to find them unappealing?

not something so bad it hurts them; just bad taste.

Thanks!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine hate slugs.

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Egg layer or egg eater ?

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I have a few who hate bugs. They just plain hate them [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

chickNjake,
    Do you mean egg eater?

if so see below:

I had this same problem last December with new laying pullets. I was able to break them from egg eating by rearranging the coop to shake things up. Adding 5 gallon buckets as nests. Putting golf balls and stone eggs in the nests. And collecting as often as I could. It was fortunate that I was on vacation at the time. Others have suggested filling blown out eggs with mustard or horseradish. And adding more protein or calcium to their diet. Also I have heard of people adding curtains in front of the nests so the eggs weren't so visible and it is darker in the nests. Good Luck.

Imp- if not ignore me

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am wondering too if you mean egg layer or egg eater? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Artificial grape flavor - like cheap soda or grape kool-aid. Chickens react to artificial grape the same as mammals react to hot pepper.

8. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    Yes, I mean egg eater!! [​IMG]
    thank you, I was on the computer WAY too long [​IMG]
    and thank you, I'll be trying to create some strange, grape-mustard-horseraddish egg! this shall be interesting. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by