1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Temp inside coop is to hot?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tenmore, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Just wondering at what temp is to hot for inside the coop? I take temp readings inside and out. dependind on time of day coop is hotter just wondering at what temp do I need to do something differant? More ventilation, frozen jugs, fan? temps peaked at 101 out side coop hit 103 was the hottest that I saw.. Ive noticed a few nights latley they have spread out on all 3 roosts in stead of all on the top roost and a few were panting with wings out. I have 2 18" x 24" windows one on east side and one on west side vents at highest point in coop 6" x 51" . and ive been opening the main door on these hot days. Any ideas comments or suggestions willl be greatly appreciated thanks. [​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    A large fan works well. I have a box fan in my coop, but it took about a week before my girls were use to it. They like sitting in front of it. My coop is cooler then outside even without the fan. I wet down the run every hour and soak the sand. The water will drip from the shade screen for a while. Make sure there is enough water. Some people give their chickens kiddie pools to wade in. I actually bring mine in the house, I have a set up for them in the basement when it's 97 or higher. I have 2 chickens that can not handle the heat.

3. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    The chickens actually wade in the pool? How deep is it? Puddle depth or over their feet or knees?

Honey

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I can't get mine to wade in water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by