1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What temperature of the water when you are ready to pluck a chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FF, Aug 2, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. At what temperature does the water need to be when you are getting ready to pluck a chicken by hand? And how long does it need to be in there? Thanks for the help.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    About 160*F. I dip it in, pull it out, dip it back, shake it around a little until I can easily pull out the wing feathers. Then it is ready.

3. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thanks you very much [​IMG]

4. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Try 140 degrees. I recently used this temperature and found several advantages:

1. Easier on my hands while dunking
    2. Easier to handle birds after dunking
    3. No ripping of birds' skin
    4. Feathers easily removed.

My 2 cents

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    for us, 153 degrees seems to be best.

try a few, play around with the temp (to an extant), and see what you like and what works best for YOU! [​IMG] as you can see, there is no single "right" answer!

ETA guess my thermometer is off... as i have yet to "cook" a bird's skin (or even come close to it) at 153*. these birds go to others and i have never had a single complaint, only raves on how beautiful they look and how nice and clean the plucking job is. that temperature definitely doesn't make for an ugly dressed bird here.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    If I scald at 150 or higher the pin feathers are harder to remove, and the black pin feathers leave spots on the skin. It also seems to cook the skin a little, which makes for an ugly dressed bird (I don't care, but I'm selling chickens now and the prettier I can make them the better.)

I have better luck at 140-145. Takes a little longer, but the quality overall is better.

7. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I just did 20 and I did put your hand in 3 seconds only and its ready! wing feathers pull easily!

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  9. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I have to agree with Salt and Light & petrelline. 140 - 145 degrees, dunk and swirl, pull from water and test. When the feathers come off easily, it's ready. I also use a plucker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by