What tha?? Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zanna, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Maybe someone can give me some insight.............This is my 20 week old pullet/roo, I really don't know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From a breeding I made, Daddy, New Hampshire:
    [​IMG]
    Mommy: One of 6 White Leghorns
    [​IMG]
    Only other possible Daddy, a pure white leghorn. I locked the New Hampshire Roo and the White Leghorn hens up for 14 days before I started collecting eggs. I collected 42 and set them, 39 hatched, cute white fuzzies with lots of black spots on them. These were supposed to replace my older production red egg layers but I only needed a dozen or so, so I sold 30 before they were a week old and kept 12. 11 of those 12 were most definitely roos by 16 weeks and really harassing the hens so we butchered them. So much for my replacement hens [​IMG] The young roos were all mostly white with some gold on them and one mostly white with some black. All had large, red, leghorn combs. They all looked like the cross they were in size/body type. The supposed hen I kept in these pics became very splash, now I am not even sure she is a hen. Any ideas on breed or sex. She/he acts rooish but no crowing yet or egg laying which I would expect by now with this cross. Could she/he be a throwback of a California Leghorn?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Not sure on the breed, but looks like roo to me, hes got some definite saddle feathers going on. Very pretty splash color!

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    ...but it looks like it has a pea comb!

...and slate legs!!

...I'm just not at all sure. It's a weird one, that's just so incongruous!

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You have a roo...I can't imagine how you got that bird out of the mixtures you mentioned. Comb and legs are all wrong..sure you dont have a neighors roo visiting your girls????

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Amen.

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:[​IMG] what ever it is it is handsome or beautiful splash i would not mind have him/ or her but u to far away lol iam in tenn

8. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    No neighbors roos, honest!!! The slate legs only started to show about a month ago, they were white/pinkish up until then, the same colour as all of the other offspring. The pea comb, who knows. I guess I have a freak of nature [​IMG] Any one want him????

9. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I can't wrap my brain around the fact that that bird came from that pairing!! [​IMG] Very handsome bird though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by