What the Cluck!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coffeelady3, Jul 10, 2008.

1. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    When does the peeping stop and the clucking begin? My girls are almost 7 weeks old, and fully feathered. The look like chickens, but they sure don't sound like them. When will they get their big girl voices? [​IMG]

2. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    I second that question!

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:I'm glad I'm not the only one!

4. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    My little sisters (Rhode Island reds) are still in between the cluck and a bit of a peep. and they are almost 4 months old. Depending on the breed, they will cluck when they are ready. the Golden comets I got a couple of years ago have a growling cluck...[​IMG]

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 3 sets of chicks, about 2, 3, and 4 months old. The oldest ones (several different breeds) stopped chirping and started trying to cluck at about 3 months old. The second group (Dominiques) are now 3 months old. They don't chirp anymore, but they don't cluck either. They are just quiet! The 2 month old chicks (Dominiques) still chirp like crazy.

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My first one began to cluck at about 6 weeks, she alternated peeping and clucking. The rest followed suit and all were clucking by around, um 10 weeks or so. They are now almost 20 weeks and wow can they be loud when they all get going in the morning. Each one has their own voice, though. We love it.

7. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Thanks for mentioning Golden Comets and that weird growling sound they make, I thought mine were deranged. It's not like they're aggressive or angry, they growl when something interests them or something happens. Weird deranged chickens.

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I love the peeps. They grow up so fast already.
    mine are almost 11 weeks old and peeping all the time.

9. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine don't exactly peep any more but then again they don't always cluck it is more like a bawkkkk bawk bawk at times.

10. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    My five week old Jersey Giants have a happy warble and occasionally cheep. I think the clucking is linked to a hormonal thing and will occur a few weeks prior to egg production. Normal hens start laying around 25 weeks and Comets start laying much earlier. (16 weeks?)
    I did have a Bantam Barred Rock start a humorous type of crowing at 5 weeks of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by