What the deal with all the bantam?

Dean126

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
So I was on Craigslist today trying to find a new rooster. And half the ads I came across were bantam 'this' and bantam 'that'. I also see a lot of people discussing them on this forum. What I don't understand is why so many people want bantam chickens. Are they good for anything other than being cute? A standard chicken provides more meat and eggs.

I've owned a couple that my neighbor gave me but I don't get the hype. Can somebody enlighten me on what this bantam craze is all about?

They're cute, lol.

But seriously, it really just depends on what you want your chickens for. If you want chickens for high egg production and meat, then bantams are definitely not what you want.
But if you're keeping chickens as pets, and just want eggs as a bonus, then bantams are great. They don't take up much space, they're generally friendly, they're easier for kids to handle, and, like I said, they're really cute. There seems to be lot more people keeping pet chickens in recent years, so I think that's why bantams have grown so popular.

So I was on Craigslist today trying to find a new rooster. And half the ads I came across were bantam 'this' and bantam 'that'. I also see a lot of people discussing them on this forum. What I don't understand is why so many people want bantam chickens. Are they good for anything other than being cute? A standard chicken provides more meat and eggs.

I've owned a couple that my neighbor gave me but I don't get the hype. Can somebody enlighten me on what this bantam craze is all about?
They're cute, often broody, lots of color, eat less feed and take up less space. Plus not everyone is comfortable with large birds.

I personally prefer bantam males usually because I'd rather fend off my half pound duccle male than my 12 pound Asian black male

I enjoy my chickens for the beauty of the different breeds I have and of course the rainbow or beautiful eggs that you don't need glasses to see..... I don't do bantams or silkies but consequently I've had chickens for 20years and I know nothing about bantams and silkies except for they're cute and lay tiny eggs. Maybe the attraction is about people keeping chickens in smaller spaces and a high priority is letting kids take care of them? Maybe they're to blame for the prefab amazon coops that can't fit a normal sized breed chicken?? :idunno

Personally, I find many bantam breeds to be more intelligent and personable than their large fowl counterparts. They eat less per head and take up less space in my breeding runs. Additionally, they make better birds for showmanship classes... If you're into that.
Do any bantam breeds lay pretty decent sized eggs?

Actually my 2 pound Silkies lay 40 g eggs which is pretty big considering their size.
8DB4BC95-B6EC-4651-8205-34BC9A33D9C4.jpeg

Personally, I find many bantam breeds to be more intelligent and personable than their large fowl counterparts. They eat less per head and take up less space in my breeding runs. Additionally, they make better birds for showmanship classes... If you're into that.
Hahaha mine are the dumbest birds xD compared to the big ones I have, the bantams are always aww so cute! Dumb as a rock, but she doesn't need to be smart when she's so cute!

I personally like the tiny eggs a lot. Sometimes one normal sized omelette or a fried egg is like too much and I want a small silly sandwich xD

Back
Top Bottom