What the heck am I doing wrong?

It's summer there now. What has been your temperature range while hens are setting eggs? Have you cracked a dozen eggs and checked your fertility rate?

Its been between 20 - 28c (68-85f) and high humidity.

The eggs are not mine, we cant have roosters. They've been bought eggs and have all had good fertility rates.

You might be able to reduce the likelihood of the hens kicking out eggs by using a different nest box design. For broody hens, I use a cardboard box (approximately 14" x 14") cut down to a height of about 6 inches. The box sits on the floor of the coop. I put about an inch of pine shavings in the bottom, and then create a bowl shaped nest using hay. The box depth is not an obstacle to the hen getting in and out, but it does keep the eggs in.

My broody hens are usually really careful getting off and on the nest, so I'm not sure what to do about broody hens that dig around in the nest.

As others mentioned, shipping can substantially reduce the hatch rate. Also, it's important that the breeders are on a nutritious breeder diet. If they aren't, that will reduce the hatch rate as well.

Back
Top Bottom