what the heck is killing my chickens!?! (Graphic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lolgan, Nov 28, 2009.

1. lolgan

lolgan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    i've lost 8 in the last few weeks.

it always happens during the day.

[​IMG]

since it happens during the day i'm thinking it could be a rabid possum or something? (supposedly no coon rabies in missouri)

i found it while it was still warm and the body was basically untouched so i plucked/cleaned it and threw it in the crock pot.

just thinking now about the possibility or contracting rabies......hmmmm i know rabies can only infect mammals and i was thinking cooking thoroughly would kill the virus.

what do you think?

thanks!
    -Logan

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Could have been a neighbor hood dog. Looks like what a dog would do when it plays with an animal. Some days think they are play things. And dont eat them.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Dog or a coon.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The one I lost to a raccoon had the head chewed off, not just plucked. I'd be looking at the dogs in the area especially since it's happening during the daytime. [​IMG]

5. jensen

jensen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    When we've had coon trouble, they have always come in and done their damage at night which makes me wonder if it's not dogs or something of that kind. Has anyone had coons take birds during the day time?

6. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  7. lolgan

lolgan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    thanks for the reply guys!

i really appreciate it!

8. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    IF you suspect rabies, the only test is brain matter, send in the head...

9. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    lost to a raccoon supposedly
    you can never tell until you
    catch it

10. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I don't think a rabid animal would come back day after day and kill, since they can't eat or drink. If they do have the "furious" rabies, rather than "dumb" rabies, they would tear the animal apart, not just the neck. If the animal did have rabies, it would most likely be dead by now. Usually a rabid animal is too sick to wander very far anyway, so you would have found it by now, either alive or dead.

Were your hens free ranging or were they fenced in? She looks like something pulled her head thru a small hole in a wire fence. I had a coon do that to a hen one time. The hens would stick their heads thru the small openings in the chicken wire to peck at the grass outside. The coon grabbed her head and pulled her, trying to get her thru the fence. He ended up killing her but her feathers were rubbed off by the wire and the neck left really raw, like your picture. The coon never got her thru the fence, so I found her like that in her pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by