What the heck is this noise?

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
What is going on with these two turkeys? I just put them together that day, and this started. I eventually separated the bourbon red into his own pen, and everyone gets along find with the hen... but what a strange noise!

What is going on with these two turkeys? I just put them together that day, and this started. I eventually separated the bourbon red into his own pen, and everyone gets along find with the hen... but what a strange noise!

I think there is some confusion with having Peacocks and Peahens in with the Turkeys and not a lot of room.
This is only my guess from watching the video but in the animal world the prettiest and the strongest Male gets the pick of the flock and there may be confusion on the Turkey hen choosing not to be with the Tom but with the Peacock and then you have the Peahens joining in battling the Tom.

They're pretty sorted now I guess, as I haven't heard her making that sound since I moved the tom to an adjacent pen- they can still see each other but she ignores him entirely now that he's not able to wing-slap her, and he mostly struts around his pen showing off his feathers and gobbling. The peafowl pretty much ignore her (excepting Blu, who seems to like watching her), and she ignores all of them but the "alpha" peahen... whom she follows around copying her behavior.

The only turkeys I've ever owned were a pair of young toms (8 months old maybe?) about two years ago. They didn't act anything like this, and the peafowl loved them both, so it was very strange to me to see this happen. Unexpected, I would say, given the pen's previous behavior toward turkeys and their general acceptance of anything that passes through!

Thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom