What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiegrl06, Nov 3, 2016.

1. chickiegrl06

chickiegrl06 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    I noticed this on my Amaracauna hen today. There are two "claws" growing out of it. Anyone see this before? Is it an infection? should i pull it off? There does seem to be blood flowing to it. Should i be concerned?

[​IMG]

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey there chickiegrl06 where on the hen is that? It looks like on her body, nowhere near her feet?

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Looks like some type of unusual growth. I never seen anything as such. If that was on my chicken, This is what I would do. ...... Take a string or fishing line, or rubber band and choke it off. After a few days it would probably fall off as a scab. You do what you see fit. Watch it and see how it progresses.

4. chickiegrl06

Apr 29, 2016
    Hi Teila- Its on her chest. I never noticed it before. And i am almost positive i would have seen this when she was a chick. I think it just popped up in the past week or so. Very odd.

5. chickiegrl06

Apr 29, 2016
    Hi Cavemanrich- someone told me its an infection and to pull out the claws because they are probably infected feathers then squeeze the puss out. Im not a fan of this idea. I think i will watch it and see. Just weird...She doesnt seem to bothered by it.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Yeah, that is bizarre, I have not seen anything like it either.

If you can, I think a trip to the vet for identification is probably a good idea. If that is not possible, I would go with cavemanrich’s suggestion of choking it off.

Watching it may be the way to go also but if you have not noticed it before, it is probably fast growing and therefore, may cause problems sooner rather than later. Who knows what it may be doing internally [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be a teratoma, which is a tumor made up of tissue from other parts of the body.

1 person likes this.
  8. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    maybe a T-Rex that was in hiding and is now morphing [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Its not someone elses nail that has become tangled and stuck to the feathers ? Reminds me of that twin to twin thing. Dont remember the correct name but double yolk and one absorbed part of the other or they "fused".

2 people like this.
  10. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Yes, granny's got it. Look up "parasitic twin." I would not bother cutting the toes off. Don't think is will hurt the hen to leave them, but could cause lots of trouble trying to remove the growth.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by