1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HighNDryFarm, Aug 10, 2011.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I purchased 8 Polish chicks (a few days old) from a breeder. They came to me via the breeders friend who breeds Ameraucana and Marans but had room in her incubator and hatched them for her friend. I agreed to purchase all 8. When I went to pick them up her friend grabbed a chick with a bit of a crest and threw it in the batch. I told her it looked like a mix but she said her friend kept her breed separated so I agreed to throw it in but I think we both knew it was a crap shoot! I am in contact with the breeder but not since I bought them. She asked me to send pictures when they're bigger so she can tell me who came from who.....I haven't asked her about this one.....

All these Polish have unbelievable crests...except Mr T, who has a Mohawk....5 toes and feathers on it's feet! [​IMG] and as long as I'm askin' yes or roo?
    [​IMG]

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    my guess is a polish silkie cross (due to the 5 toes) and yes, roo as i believe I see some saddle feathers

3. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    I believe 5 toes and feathered legs are from faverolles. looks like Mr. T is a Mr. but I'm no expert.

4. BrazellDazell

BrazellDazell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Genoa
    No idea but I love it!!!![​IMG]

5. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:Good! I'm sending him your way! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:x2

7. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Hahah he is ADORABLE! [​IMG] kinda funny with is mohawk [​IMG]

8. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:Hmmm, I've looked for saddle feathers and didn't see any so it could be the angle (they sure do look pointy in the pick) but I guarantee that I'll be looking closely because Mr T can't stay. I'm planning on having some Polish chicks and Mr T can't be around for the fun!

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Too Cute!!! I just love Variety!

10. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    If I didn't plan on breeding, I'd keep Mr T but I can't risk him to not get amorous with girls and the other chicks have fabulous head feathering, don't want to screw that up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by