What the heck just happened!?? Help!

FrostyWind

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
I just finished feeding my baby chicks in their coop, took them out to run around freely and bathe in dirt and sun. Watching them bask and enjoy the sun on their bodies, I saw one chick rolled on its side and I was like "that's just too adorable 😂" but then I noticed he couldn't get up and his eyes were staying closed. I helped him up he couldn't stand anymore, he's just backing back sitting on his vent, can't move his eyes are staying closed only opening it if a adult chicken makes a noise? And I'm like "What the hell just happened? You were literally running around a few minutes ago?"
What even happened? He's the chick that came out with the short legs?
How could this just happen?
Please help!

Starting with simple; does he have something in one or both eyes, like a bit of sand? Open his lids and rinse with warm water.
Is his tiny comb and mouth pink or blue? Heart issues?
Are his breathing rate and heart rate similar to the others?
Is he okay now?
Mary

This sort of thing has happened to my chicks before. Young chicks are prone to easy heart attack’s if stressed. Now, when I get chicks, I am extra careful. He may have swallowed something as well (I have found that chicks will peck at and try to eat anything that interests them). I hope he pulls out if it! He may have gotten overwhelmed. How old are your chicks?

How old is the chick? Do you have Poultry NutriDrench or any SaveAChick electrolytes? Dip it’s beak into some water. How cold is it? Is there any dried poop on it’s vent?

Last edited:
Starting with simple; does he have something in one or both eyes, like a bit of sand? Open his lids and rinse with warm water.
Is his tiny comb and mouth pink or blue? Heart issues?
Are his breathing rate and heart rate similar to the others?
Is he okay now?
Mary
Yes, everything on his body is up to date and normal like the other chicks

This sort of thing has happened to my chicks before. Young chicks are prone to easy heart attack’s if stressed. Now, when I get chicks, I am extra careful. He may have swallowed something as well (I have found that chicks will peck at and try to eat anything that interests them). I hope he pulls out if it! He may have gotten overwhelmed. How old are your chicks?
He's just almost 2 weeks old.
He isn't choking either,
Tho earlier when they all my chicks was younger and had some adult feathers, they were eating some plastic pieces on the ground? Hopefully that isn't the cause?

How old is the chick? Do you have Poultry NutriDrench or any SaveAChick electrolytes? Dip it’s beak into some water. How cold is it? Is there any dried poop on it’s vent?
I gots none of that,
I live in South America so the whether is good and always hot, warm and cool.
Nope, there's no poop on his vent

Back
Top Bottom