WHAT THE ?!?!?!?!?! Suggestions PLEASE!

I would have been so excited
wee.gif
wee.gif
Sorry no suggestions......I would still be in the coop taking pictures.

But I am just strange that way.
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions!

When I first posted I was in a panic. Now I am calmer but creeped out. I have a chicken with a bad leg so she does not roost at night. I just realized she has been curling up with the skunks! I also regularly ran my hand under the boxes to check for stray eggs.

Of course my husband and teenage sons are away camping. They are usually the ones to deal with all things wild and stinky. So I spent the afternoon securing a temporary pen for the girls. They are safe and sound far away from the egg theives. All food and water has been removed from the coop and all exits are wide open. Anything else that has to happen can wait till the men get home.

Oh, and I found where they got in. I have poultry wire burried around the perimeter of the yard and concrete blocks set on top of that. There was a three inch gap in the wire on one corner and the block was pushed over just a tad. Clever buggers!

Thanks again! I'll let you know what happens.

Lorie

You have skunks, I have a kitty. Maybe they could get together and make a home somewhere else besides in out chicken coops. Nasty little creeps.
barnie.gif

It sounds to me like your chickens and the skunks have worked out a kind of truce. The skunks keep other predators away from the chickens due to their weapons (stink bombs) and the chickens feed them eggs and give them shelter in return!
lol.png

the nice humane correct thing to do, and although I am braver than most I am sure you could find someone to help, is to set live trap and cover it with heavy blanket,as was already suggested and I agree, and when you get the parent culprit set it outside of the area and give her hell(while still trapped) and she'll think twice before coming back there to nest. her bb's could be moved out(gloves if little enuf) and placed(not tossed as suggested) somewhere else and she will find them and deal. I set traps reguarly OUTSIDE of chicken area and give any wild critters a scare before I free them and have had NO problems with eggs/chickens. I live by 50+acres of woods and SEE lots of varmints but they think twice before approaching my chicken shed. the suggested heavy blanket will have to be kept outside for future use, as you can imagine why.plus I would check behind there often from now on so it can't develop into a problem. GOOD LUCK.

Quote:
I have heard the same thing about covering the trap... I was told it is because skunks won't spray unless they can see their target... never tried it and hope I never have to.

we need pics plz. i think that is so cute. at least they didn't mess with your chickens. i would just let them move on by themselves.. if they sprayed in your area it would be there forever inside the coop

Back
Top Bottom