What thermometer do i trust?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DMSrabbit, Dec 16, 2010.

1. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    You know, just when i thought hatching couldn't get any harder, and after losing 40 eggs or so to humidity, now i have this problem......

I cant tell which thermometer is correct!!!

I have a Digi Thermometer in my 1602N HOVA BATOR and i have 2 regular thermometers inside. One that came with the bator, one that came with my first small bator.
    Heres the problem.. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS A DIFFERENT TEMPERATURE ON IT I at least thought the two with Mercury would read about the same but they dont..

SEE:

[​IMG]
    ***The Temps are slightly off in the picture because i had to open the bator up to take the pic***

My Digi Thermometer Read 93 degrees

My HOVA BATOR Thermometer that can with the Bator Read 100 degrees

My Small Quail Thermometer Read 96 degrees

WHICH ONE DO I TRUST? I dont want to lose more eggs... Please help me!!

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

The two glass thermometers are easy to check... Make a glass of ice water and put them in it... Check the temps while the thermometers are inside the glass. Make sure to really pack it full of ice so that you get a consistant temp. Should be right around 32 degrees.

Remember glass thermometers have a small recovery time, so if you opened the top took a pic and replaced the top, that will not be enough time for them to report the true air temp.

I would trust the one that comes with the bator. Each and every digital thermometer I have ever tried have been off a little. They are not calibrated on a defined standard.

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I have had this problem too. I had the regular thermometer, then the hygrometer THEN a digital one. All were different.... I thought the digital one must be more accurate but now I am not so sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by