What Thermometer/Hygrometer do you use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Aug 31, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I would like to get another thermometer, and would like to know what everyone else uses. Thanks!

Steff

2. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I have 2 kinds:
    a meat probe thermometer that you get at walmart in the kitchen utensil isle for $14. the brand is Acu rite. Does not seem as accurate (lol)... but it has an alarm if it reaches a set temp. I like that in case theres a spike and I can attend to it fast.
    I also have a thermometer/humidifier combo. From walmart located in the hardware light bulb area with the rain gauges. I like it more than my probe one for temp. reading. It cost $7. The brand is Springfield Precise Temp. It seems much more accurate as it does decimals for the temp. Ex: 99.5. The humidity records the lowest and he highest so you can see how much if fluctuates.
    Hope this helps:)

3. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Steff, I went to a pet store and bought a terrarium thermometer/hygrometer for reptiles. it seems to be working pretty well, but had to be adjusted because the thing that registers the temps (not digital, obviously) are on a piece of plastic that slips inside the base that has the numbers on it. I think that's why my last hatch went south, because it wasn't reading right, and I didn't realize it until the end. I'm not sure what it's called, but I could take a picture next time I lift the lid to add water. I find keeping the humidity up is the real problem here in Utah. I imagine it's the same in your area, unless you live way closer to the lake then my sister did in Stansbury.

Cute kids on your blog, by the way.

4. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    I have a thermometer/hygrometer in one, it's not digital but works well, it's for indoor/outdoor use and I got it at my local feed store the brand is Taylor...It seems to work and I just had my first hatch ever with one babie so far, just waiting for the others...I know alot of other people use the Accurite digital thermometer/hygrometer you can get it at Walmart.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:Thanks!! I actually live south of Stansbury, so we are not closer to the lake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by