What time do you let your chickens out in the morning?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chilisweet, Jul 10, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I have tried to search for answers to this question and I must be dense or something, but I can't find a thing! [​IMG]

How long can the girls be in the coop overnight without getting too hungry? So far we have opened the coop at 6:30am, 7am and 8:30am. They seemed fine each morning, but we just don't know when the best time is. We would prefer to wait until 8:30 or so. Oh, we don't keep food and water in the coop, just in the run.

Thanks!
    ~Caran

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I keep food and water in my coop...my chickens are total babies [​IMG] ...and I let them out between 7-8:30 a.m. They seem to be fine with whatever time I let them out, just as long as I do it before it gets hot.

3. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I think you should keep water available to your chicks at all times. Mine are let out into the run at 7 each morning except the weekend and its around 8 to 9. But, they have food and water at all times.
    I think they adapt very easily!

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i dont let mine out till afternoon,I have a hen that will lay anywhere,but they have feed and water in the coop then they free range after they give me some eggs

5. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I don't think there is a magic time. I keep water and food in the coop at all times and the door open so they can go back and forth. The chickens in one of my coops sometimes I leave in until they lay their eggs because once they get out, I will never find their eggs but they always have food and water.

jackie

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    At present I let my 11 week old chicks out as soon as the sun is up... about 5:30AM... They leave the run and go back into the coop when it's hot or dark or stormy like it was today.

Come September, I'll have a light that turns on at 5:30AM and will go off at 6:30 or 7:30 PM and I'll probably leave them in the coop where the nest boxes are until they can learn to lay in the AM... then let them out...

I guess a hen can't be trained when to lay but I'm hoping... I guess they lay just like when nature calls.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  7. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Let's see...it really varies over here. We let them out anywhere between 6am and 9am depending on whether it's a weekday or weekend. It's usually later on weekends when we sleep in more. I feed them and fill their water up around 9 or 10 pm so they have what they need, and close them up for the night-tarp and all-just in case it rains and also to put one more layer of something between them and any predators. I leave part of it open for good air flow though. I also turn their heat lamp on when it gets cool at night. It's 60 here right now, so I turned it on a couple hours ago-they seem to love it when I have it on for them. I guess the only thing I don't do is let them out too early if we aren't going to be around or wide awake, because there might be some lurking predators still roaming around.
    (by the way, I got great customer service over the phone and online from mypetchicken.com yesterday! I'm impressed!!!!)

8. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I keep water with them at all times, I feed in there too though. Heaven forbid there's an emergency and they are stuck in there all day on a 100 degree day without water! But we let them out around 8:30, right before I head off to work.

9. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    my 3 month Astralorp pullets have food and water inside their coop, and there's a door in the gate so they can come and go as they please. They also go back into their coop on their own at around 8 when the dogs go inside. of course i live in the middle of a housing area in teh middle of a city, so i dont have to worry TOO much about predators. My dogs offer 24/7 protection from predators since they have a doggie door and protect my chickens. Also my run is netted from airborn predators and cats.

Cyrix

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  10. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

cyrixlord... I love your thumbnail picture...so cute!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by