What time do you let your chickens....

Jen4

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Munfordville, KY
Free Range? I was just wondering this because ours will be hopefully laying in the next 4 weeks and I dont want let them free range and find eggs here and there in the yard. Is that a problem for anyone? Or will they know to go back to their nest box and lay their egg? Do chickens usually lay in the morning or anytime of the day? Sorry this is my 1st flock
idunno.gif

Thanks Jen

Before you let 'em run, put a dummy egg in thier box (or one from yer fridge, that's not ice cold) if you haven't already, to give 'em the "oh,so that's where they go" idea,,,,,,

Mine started laying 3 weeks ago. They've been in the coop about 3 months and allowed to roam for about 2 months. I've found one egg in the run. The same chicken ( I know because she is the only one to lay a light brown egg) has layed in the coop every day since. I think she just didn't quite know where to drop her first egg.

As long as they roost in the coop and there are nest boxes available they should figure it out. Mine roam around all day and when the urge hits they head inside to look for a nest box. The pop door is open 24/7 so they head out as soon as it's light and don't roost till almost dark. My electrified poultry netting has worked great ..... so far......

My problem is getting them to lay earlier. I had one lay last night after 5:00 PM. the rest lay when ever it hits them during the day. I'd like to have them all get it done by 2 or 3. I don't think I can alter that though.

OH yea I used 3 golf ball to get them to lay in the boxes the first time. Worked GREAT.

Last edited:
I don't typically let mine out until evening, so I can keep an eye on them. By that time, all egg laying has taken place and I don't have to worry about the eggs not being where they are supposed to be.
smile.png

I have one pen that I let out between 8 and 9am, but the other pen they are grounded so they don't get let out before 4pm. I still haven't found all the eggs they hid

I should probably qualify the term "roam". My birds get out when every they want but are confined in a 3,500-4,000 square foot are at a time ( I move the poultry netting) So if they don't lay in the boxes they would have to lay in the middle of an all grass run or under a tree. I'm sure they much prefer the Coop and nest boxes for laying.

Thanks Everybody....

I'll do the golf ball thing, we got some here I've been saving just for that, read it on here one day
big_smile.png

We still have to get the nest boxes put it... they will be 16 weeks tomorrow, so we still got a few weeks before they lay.

They are in their run right now just waiting for me to let them out... I've been letting them free range since July 4, everybody does great and comes back home in the evening, I count them to check.

Back
Top Bottom