What time frame needed to reintroduce sick birds back into flock?

MrsC12

Hatching
Jan 8, 2021
Hello. First time poster. We have a flock of about 29 birds. Some got sick from the cold but are now on the mend. However, my husband had noticed that at least four birds had bubbles in the corners of at least one eye. We separated them from the flock and I treated them with antibiotics and rubbed terramycin ointment on their eyes. It’s been about a week and I haven’t seen the bubbles reappear. I’ve been applying the terramycin daily and their mood is happy and active. They have not missed a beat.

After doing research, the only thing we could find that would explain the bubbles is mycoplasma. I think we caught it early enough to not make their little faces swell or to make them sluggish. So my question is, when and can we reintroduce them to the rest of the flock? They haven’t shown any signs of sickness, although I know they will be carriers for life. Is it safe for them to be with the flock again or will I just have to deal with more cases of mycoplasma?

This little group is made up of three hens that have not yet started laying and one little Silkie rooster. I’m really scared that the answer will be to permanently remove them. These little guys are happy and active and have a lot of life left in them.
Thank for any help given.

Hello. First time poster. We have a flock of about 29 birds. Some got sick from the cold but are now on the mend. However, my husband had noticed that at least four birds had bubbles in the corners of at least one eye. We separated them from the flock and I treated them with antibiotics and rubbed terramycin ointment on their eyes. It’s been about a week and I haven’t seen the bubbles reappear. I’ve been applying the terramycin daily and their mood is happy and active. They have not missed a beat.

After doing research, the only thing we could find that would explain the bubbles is mycoplasma. I think we caught it early enough to not make their little faces swell or to make them sluggish. So my question is, when and can we reintroduce them to the rest of the flock? They haven’t shown any signs of sickness, although I know they will be carriers for life. Is it safe for them to be with the flock again or will I just have to deal with more cases of mycoplasma?

This little group is made up of three hens that have not yet started laying and one little Silkie rooster. I’m really scared that the answer will be to permanently remove them. These little guys are happy and active and have a lot of life left in them.
Thank for any help given.
Oh no! I'm so sorry!

Back
Top Bottom