What time of day does a hen lay her egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jossy J, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Jossy J

Jossy J Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Hi there,
    I'm new to this and thinking of getting some hens this summer. I would like to build a coop inside my horse barn.

My question is, do the hens need access to their nesting boxes 24/7 or do they lay at night or during the day?

Any info would be appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Answer: Whenever they darn well feel like it! [​IMG]

Seriously. [​IMG] When I first got chickens, I had this vision of my hens all laying early in the morning. I'd get up and head out to do my barn chores, and collect all of the day's fresh-laid eggs at one time. Not so. I sometimes get eggs as late as 4 or 5 p.m.! Generally they will lay before 10 or 11 a.m., but you can't old 'em to it!

Oh, and [​IMG]

3. marceedee

marceedee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Cheney, WA
    My hens lay after 8 am and before 5 pm. They are working girls and don't lay any eggs earlier or later! I have a light that turns on at 5 am and off at 8 pm.

This is my first year of raising hens and I was expecting eggs laid at all hours.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They lay an egg about every 25 hours. So if a hen were to lay an egg at 7 am today, she'll lay around 8 am tomorrow. It continues thru the day like that until it gets way late in the evening. Then they start over the next day or take a day off, whichever.

5. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    My one hen that's laying now lays at about 10am

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

When I go in in the morning you can usually tell how late I am by how many eggs are in the nests. If the turken has laid hers I'm right on time. The later in the day it is the more eggs there are but the turken is always first. I suspect that the red sex link is next with the Hamburg shortly thereafter since those two are usually in the same nest if I'm late. I've caught the BO out there shortly after noon a couple of times so I know she's later in the day and the rest of them....I'm clueless.

7. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This has been my experience with my hen too.

8. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    my hens lay from 7 am to noon. Once and awhile there's a afternoon egg, but not very often. They have been laying for a month and a half now.

9. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    The majority of my hens lay from early morning until about 1pm. but there is one, Mary Grace, who lays daily about 4 pm. I can't figure it out so they have access to the nesting boxes 24-7.

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, they lay whenever they like. That 25 hour clock of theirs makes me think they're really alien invaders from another planet that has a different orbit around whatever sun it circles, which accounts for the odd hours of laying... .... .... ok, maybe not. [​IMG] But yeah, they don't have a set time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by