What time to feed chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bakinghomesteader, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    Can I feed them when I get up around 8am? I also feed them when I go to bed around 9 pm. Is this ok? Are these times ok for them when they go to the coop also?

Another question--after they start laying late summer, how often do I collect eggs? Thanks!

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are these growing chicks? I would definitely keep food in front of them all the time. They really need a lot of food as they are growing.

I also keep food available all the time for my laying hens. They only eat the amount they need. I just fill the feeder as it gets low.

Eggs can be collected once a day or several times a day. In really hot or really cold weather people usually try to collect more often. In more moderate weather, they might collect less often.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree.

4. bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    Ok, they have food and water at all times, they never run out. I didn't know if that would be the same for hens. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, for the hens too. I forget the actual numbers, but running out of food or water for even a few hours can disrupt laying.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I keep my feeders and waterers full and available to my birds 24/7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by