What to attach fencing with (lots of it)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MusicMan, Sep 22, 2009.

1. MusicMan

MusicMan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Kentucky Lake area
    Hi everybody,

I am currently planning on building a coop and run for 300 chickens. (call me crazy, right [​IMG] )

Anyway, my plans are to fence in about a 200 x 200 area (approx. an acre). Needless to say I will need alot of posts. My thoughts are to use 4 x 4 posts every 50 or 100 feet and about every 10 feet do a t-post.

My question is, what is the best thing to use to attach the fencing to the t-post. I am willing to invest in something (as long as its not crazy expensive) if it will be of good quality and last long.

For our small coop we used bailing wire. I have grown to HATE bailing wire, as it is kind of hard work with, time consuming, and rusts in about 2 weeks.

Does anybody have any ideas??

Thanks in advance,
    MusicMan

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Musicman, Home Depot has connectors, very inexpensive, for hooking wire to the tee posts. You can buy them by the sackful.

3. cphilip

cphilip Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Clemson SC
    Whenever I have purchased T posts they came with three wire ties per post.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

At Lowes they gave out a bag of 50 T post wires, pre-bent, every time you buy T-posts and you can also buy the bags separately. They are not expensive.

My grandpa used aluminum wires for his - easy to bend and they stay shiney for a long time.

5. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    When you buy t-posts always get the free connectors. They can be used for field fencing, barbed wire, etc...
    We are curremtly in the process of re-fencing 8 acres using 4 inch treated wood posts every 100 ft and in between t-posts at 8 ft intervals. Covered with 48 inch field fencing, then 2 ft poultry wire. Hot wire on top and at 3 and six inches on the outside.

6. MusicMan

Sep 3, 2009
    Kentucky Lake area
    Thanks everybody for the responses so far!

It seems that everybody agrees on the connectors that come with the posts. I have just barely breefly tried these but in the end we ended up using the bailing wire (of course I was not the opinion that mattered).

Anyway, are these sturdy and good to hold the fencing on with? (I do not want to re-do this again in 2 years)

Again thanks everybody,
    MusicMan

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:So you didn't like putting them on? and switched back to bailing wire?
    Are you using fencing pliars?

My fence is like a month old, so you'll have to ask someone else about how long they last but I really don't see any reason that they wouldn't last just as long as the fence.

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Yes, the T post clips are VERY sturdy (which you will find out when trying to put them on the posts!!). We put our pasture fence up 8 years ago and they are all still there. AND I hit about every other T post with the zero turn mower when I am mowing around the pasture LOL!!!!!!!

9. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    The free fencing ties are made to last as said above. After a few they bcome easy to put on. Part of our new fencing is replacing treated wood, t-posts and wire (with ties) that is 20 years old.

10. MusicMan

Sep 3, 2009
    Kentucky Lake area
    I only tried like 2 and thought they were a little um....difficult(?).

I didnt put enough on to actually 'get good' or anything, and I may have been putting them on wrong anyway.

Thanks everybody,
    MusicMan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by