What to clean brooder with? Is it safe

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terrilhb, Jan 15, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Ok I have a brooder that we raised 26 chicks in when we 1st got them. When big enough they went to big coop and run. So my problem is. We recently got 2 babie squirrels that were injured. We put them in the brooder. They have scince been released cause they got better and stronger. I know I need to cleen the brooder. It is made of wood. Is there anyway to clean it and have it safe for the new chicks hatching on the 20th. Thanks.

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I had a wood and wire brooder that I cleaned with either bleach and water or ammonia and water. Seemed to do the trick. Spray, let sit, hose off, let dry.

3. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I use a fiberglass Monkey Wards (Montgomery Wards) delivery tote.

I spray mine down with Bleach solution (2TBSP Bleach to gallon of water) and let it air dry.

I of course, remove the Chicks first. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you both. I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

But never ammonia AND bleach together, unless you are wearing your gas mask!!

Yes, a bleach concentrate of a cup per 5 gallons. Allow solution to work before rinsing.

6. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I use Oxine. It is safe to spray right on the wood and let it dry. No rinsing needed.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:x2
    In my opinion, Oxine is one of the best products to have on hand for people that keep poultry/fowl.
    Great for many other uses, as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by