what to do about a broody bantam

niemczyk

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 8, 2012
We are in the midst of our first blizzard fo the season and I have a black silkie that has decided to get broody. Should I discourage her or let her sit on the eggs? It isn't exactly warm in the hen house. I now have all of the chickens - 2 hen black silkies, 2 black silkie roosters and 9 laying hens in the same 11x8' hen house. Any suggestions on if I need to separate them?

In case I sound ignorent, this is my forst post. Hi all!

welcome-byc.gif

It is up to you if you want to let her hatch eggs or not. I've had hens hatch eggs and raise chicks over winter with no problems at all. The mom's did a great job keeping the little ones warm. What you can do is separate an area (in another building if you have one) for the mom and chicks (but only move her once they've hatched) and hang a heat lamp in there for some extra warmth. Mom will enjoy it and this will also help if one gets "lost" and can't find mom. Though they are generally good at keeping there chicks together.

On the other hand, if you decide to let her try again in Spring, when it's warmer, you can "break" her broodiness by putting her in a wire cage with only food and water. Broody hens have a higher body temperature than normal and by placing her in the cage you make it very hard for her to keep up, so after (average) 3 days, she'll give up.

Back
Top Bottom