What to do about feeding 12 week old pullets once integrated

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bamablake, May 13, 2010.

1. bamablake

bamablake Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Pensacola
    My pair of 12 week old RIR's are now fully integrated with my larger flock of 13 laying hens who eat laying pellets. What do I feed my pullets and how? I don't want my layers to be malnourished, but I don't want to feed the wrong thing to the younger ones. If I put out both laying pellets and grower food they will all eat from both food dishes. I know this has probably been addressed MANY times before, so I apologize for asking what is probably the obvious. Thanks.

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I heard you can switch them all over to flock raiser, which is 20+ percent protein I think...all you'll need to do is supply plenty of oyster shell for the laying hens.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, what Pet Duck Boy said.

That's exactly what I do with my flock of laying hens with two young ducks, and the adolescent chickens.

4. bamablake

Apr 26, 2008
    Pensacola
    Will the oyster shell be okay for pullets before they lay then, because surely they will eat it also?

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Don't add the oyster shell to their feed, but offer it in a separate dish. (I put mine in an empty tuna can, nailed to the coop wall next to the feeder). Those that need it, will eat it. Those that aren't craving it and don't need it, won't eat it.

6. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Like everyone else, I feed my flock the Purina Flock Raiser with a separate dish of oyster shell. The layers eat it if they need it, they're just smart that way.

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:I agree with that also.

8. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I actually have three feeders. [​IMG]

One is lower, and has the grower feed. All of the birds (12 week and grown hens) eat from it.

I have a SECOND feeder that I hang up higher. It's about as high as it can be for the grown hens, and the chicks can't quite reach it. I fill that will layer feed - and the hens do eat it.

The third is a bowl of oyster shell for the hens to supplement their diets with. It's also at hen-height.

9. bamablake

Apr 26, 2008
    Pensacola
    Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by