What To Do about Food Agression?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Malibu99, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Hi there,

Petrie, my BR hen, seems to have food agression. She's a really good hen... until I give them treats. Then, she'll turn to whoever else is eating and grab their comb and start pulling and shaking her head... like a dog in tug-of-war. She'll do this at the feeder, feeding them out of my hand, or when I scatter scratch. The other hens let out a really loud screech when she does it... and it's really sad. Pinless Peepers are probably not an option (unless there are no other options.) Thanks.

2. Hey, you and Petrie are on the chat thread with Me, Sunrise, Susan, And Selena. I am just bumping this post. GOOD LUCK!

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have a dominant hen who takes what she wants. The other 8 just go along with it. There is plenty, but she asserts herself all the time. The hens will stand and fight over one item when there is an entire bush filled with them right in front of them.

Chris

4. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Divide and conquer I always say.... I have 4 feeders, 2 waterers and whenever I feed treats/ scraps I put them out in 3 seperate plates so the chicken Hogs cant possibley dominate all of the locations and my younger set (13 nine week olds, vs 3 thirteen week olds) can get their fill too....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by