What to do about future broody hens?

Brightbird

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2022
So last year we had one egg hatch under a broody hen while she was still in the coop with the other hens. For about a week it was fine and the mom took care of that chick, but the other hens kept bothering her and her baby. Eventually I believe she became stressed and began to peck at the chick until it bled and I had to take him away and raise him myself. Now that spring is coming again, my hens will likely go broody again soon.

My question is whether or not we should figure out somewhere to put the broody hens and their eggs where they’ll be separated from the flock? I suppose it’s important to note that the hen that hatched last years chick was a Rhode Island Red and in my experience those usually don’t go broody, and when they do they tend to break out of it after a few days. I was surprised that she was able to stay broody enough to hatch anything. It’s much more likely that my two Orpingtons will go broody instead of any of the RIRs this time.

We don’t have anywhere else we could put them, at least not right now, both of our sheds are full of junk and one of them has insulation in it that I worry any chickens or future chicks would try to eat. If we aren’t able to move them away from the flock would it be better to break the hen out of her brooding cycle before she tries to hatch any eggs?

Posting pictures of your setup may help answer the question. It sounds like you may be tight on space.

You wrote that they were in the coop. Not the coop and run. That would be a very bad setup for a mother hen to raise her chicks within the flock.

But you never have to let a broody hatch just because she wants to. Ever. Just put her in a broody breaker for 3 days and 2 nights and break her at the very first sign that she's gone broody.

YOU are the one controlling the flock population, not the flock. You'd soon be overrun with chickens and dealing with unwanted cockerels that will stress the hens and the senior rooster. I would be focusing my attention on having a well set up broody breaker instead of worrying about where to put a broody to set. A broody should always be setting where the flock can see her and she can still interact with them during her breaks. Your entire flock setup should be large enough that she can safely raise her brood within the flock.

I have never had any issues with other flock member harassing broody raised chicks. They will sometimes go after the hen because her behavior is so different. But it is rare and when I happens in my flock, some other hen or the rooster steps in and defends the mother. They have a huge amount of space to use and the chicks are just a natural addition to the flock when I permit a broody to do her thing.

I see any aggression towards new chicks by other flock members as a sign that the setup is less than ideal for such a natural arrangement.

Posting pictures of your setup may help answer the question. It sounds like you may be tight on space.

You wrote that they were in the coop. Not the coop and run. That would be a very bad setup for a mother hen to raise her chicks within the flock.

But you never have to let a broody hatch just because she wants to. Ever. Just put her in a broody breaker for 3 days and 2 nights and break her at the very first sign that she's gone broody.

YOU are the one controlling the flock population, not the flock. You'd soon be overrun with chickens and dealing with unwanted cockerels that will stress the hens and the senior rooster. I would be focusing my attention on having a well set up broody breaker instead of worrying about where to put a broody to set. A broody should always be setting where the flock can see her and she can still interact with them during her breaks. Your entire flock setup should be large enough that she can safely raise her brood within the flock.

I have never had any issues with other flock member harassing broody raised chicks. They will sometimes go after the hen because her behavior is so different. But it is rare and when I happens in my flock, some other hen or the rooster steps in and defends the mother. They have a huge amount of space to use and the chicks are just a natural addition to the flock when I permit a broody to do her thing.

I see any aggression towards new chicks by other flock members as a sign that the setup is less than ideal for such a natural arrangement.
What is a broody breaker?

Back
Top Bottom