What to do about my rooster

MeganAlyssa

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2020
Hello,
I'm not sure what's going on with my rooster. He was droopy the last 2 days, he's eating but barely drinking, his poop is normal looking. This morning he fell coming out of the coop and couldn't get up. I took him in the house, made him some food with apple cider vinegar water mixed in it and he's eating it, I made some electrolyte water and put it in the bathtub with him but he is just eating the food. His comb is slightly pale but it's barely noticeable until I checked him out this morning. Crop feels normal, no messy feathers or vent. I haven't heard him crow the last 2 or 3 days either. He will cat nap throughout the day. He's by himself right now but I am trying to put him back with his flock mate, I had to separate them because he was being aggressive towards him, he usually lives with my other rooster. I put them to where they could see each other yesterday and he perked up some, I saw him drink some water then. He doesn't look puffed up to me, I don't think he would be sick but I'm not sure what else to do. He's pooped twice since I brought him inside about an hour ago, ate a good bit of the food. I only have 3 hens so I am a little scared of putting my 2 roosters and 3 hens together but I want to put him back with the other rooster. Would that help him the best?

Hello,
I'm not sure what's going on with my rooster. He was droopy the last 2 days, he's eating but barely drinking, his poop is normal looking. This morning he fell coming out of the coop and couldn't get up. I took him in the house, made him some food with apple cider vinegar water mixed in it and he's eating it, I made some electrolyte water and put it in the bathtub with him but he is just eating the food. His comb is slightly pale but it's barely noticeable until I checked him out this morning. Crop feels normal, no messy feathers or vent. I haven't heard him crow the last 2 or 3 days either. He will cat nap throughout the day. He's by himself right now but I am trying to put him back with his flock mate, I had to separate them because he was being aggressive towards him, he usually lives with my other rooster. I put them to where they could see each other yesterday and he perked up some, I saw him drink some water then. He doesn't look puffed up to me, I don't think he would be sick but I'm not sure what else to do. He's pooped twice since I brought him inside about an hour ago, ate a good bit of the food. I only have 3 hens so I am a little scared of putting my 2 roosters and 3 hens together but I want to put him back with the other rooster. Would that help him the best?
Generally speaking sick chickens do better with their flock mates than isolated.
If your other rooster is attacking the sick rooster then this isn't an option if the sick rooster is getting injured.
If a section in the run can be built where he can see the rest of the chickens but not get injured then I would go for this until you can work out what is wrong with him.
It is possible that there has been a dispute between the roosters that you didn't observe and the sick rooster is suffering from a type of depression. It could be that the other rooster has made it clear that the hens are his hens.

When you notice something wrong with a bird and take him in the house. You need to keep it there for 3 days or longer to watch for other symptoms to figure out what's going on.

Hello,
I'm not sure what's going on with my rooster. He was droopy the last 2 days, he's eating but barely drinking, his poop is normal looking. This morning he fell coming out of the coop and couldn't get up. I took him in the house, made him some food with apple cider vinegar water mixed in it and he's eating it, I made some electrolyte water and put it in the bathtub with him but he is just eating the food. His comb is slightly pale but it's barely noticeable until I checked him out this morning. Crop feels normal, no messy feathers or vent. I haven't heard him crow the last 2 or 3 days either.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry you boy is unwell.

Please tell us his age, feed routine including treats and supplements, was he vaccinated against Marek's or anything else? Are there any injuries, heat, or swelling coming from his legs, ankles, feet. etc? Is he able to stand at all?

Since his food is wet.. he may not need to drink as much as he might if it weren't..

Look but don't touch.. using a dog kennel or other means of separation but still in sight of the flock is definitely preferred IF possible.

Are you in the US, or what general part of the world? Adding that to your profile can help folks make their best suggestion possible at a glance regarding what resources may or may not be available to you type thing.

Hope he recovers quickly! :fl

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry you boy is unwell.

Please tell us his age, feed routine including treats and supplements, was he vaccinated against Marek's or anything else? Are there any injuries, heat, or swelling coming from his legs, ankles, feet. etc? Is he able to stand at all?

Since his food is wet.. he may not need to drink as much as he might if it weren't..

Look but don't touch.. using a dog kennel or other means of separation but still in sight of the flock is definitely preferred IF possible.

Are you in the US, or what general part of the world? Adding that to your profile can help folks make their best suggestion possible at a glance regarding what resources may or may not be available to you type thing.

Hope he recovers quickly! :fl
He actually has a hurt leg, I took him to a separate kennel earlier and he wanted to run but his leg is hurt and he fell, so he is now walking around slowly so he won't fall. He eats and drinks throughout the day. He's still eating quite a bit just not drinking as much

Back
Top Bottom