What to do. Can Rubbermade help?

I use the rubbermade tubs all the time. What I usually do is cut a large hole in the lid and cover the hole with hardware cloth. I then can hang a brooder light just over the tub to keep the chicks warm. I have never tried it wth a broody hen, but I would think you wouldnt need the heat lamp

What a WONDERFUL idea.
thumbsup.gif

Consider it stolen, by me....or better put, noted in my chicken notebook for future reference.

I have been using rubbermaid containers for years, as broody boxes. I even designed my coop to incorporate them as nesting boxes, so that I don't have to move any broody out of her chosen nest. I just move the container. I don't put holes in the top. Only in the upper sides. I put the box with a plywood piece about 3' x3' on top of the box for shade and insulation. Outside they go into a run. I have 8 (almost 4 week old) chicks with their Mama that have been outside since they were a day old. She keeps them warm.
I even did this once in the depths of winter. They were fine until one night for some unknown reason the Mama hen stayed outside her nesting box with 3-4 week old chicks and some developed frostbite on their feet. I have more space in the coop, now, so that won't happen again. I discourage winter brooding in my flock though anyway.
I wouldn't wait a week before moving them to the floor. She'll start taking them out in a couple of days.
I would put Mama and the brood into a separated area so she doesn't try to take them up the ramp. She will try to get back to the old box for a day or two.
Good luck,
Dale-Ann

Thanks all! Unfortunately the rubbermade box won't work for me as the Mama bird started killing all her babies yesterday
sad.png
. The last two are inside in the brooder now. I had so hoped she was going to do the raising for me, but you just never know!

I love the idea of using the containers as nesting boxes, then being able to move the whole nest. Brilliant!!!

Back
Top Bottom