what to do, can't afford hardware cloth

birdbrain2

Songster
11 Years
Dec 25, 2008
belleville, IL.
I need about 100' maybe more. I went to home depot today and it will be about $200. I was shocked!! I can't afford that. i have raccoons and coyotes all over, although I never see them in my yard i am sure they around at night. at night the chickens will be locked up in the secure coop. do you think i can get away with using poultry fencing? can coons chew threw that during the day while i am at work? what if i used chicken wire on upper half of run, and doubled up on the bottom half? or if I can afford hardware cloth on the bottom half.
i would appreciate any input.

i need to get them out of basement now, dust is driving me nuts!!!

Last edited:
Look at the 1'x4' mesh - it's much cheaper than hardware cloth. I bought a 100' roll, 4' wide, for $67 at Home Depot.

I might wrap chicken wire around the lower part over the mesh, to keep smaller critters out. I have raccoons and coyotes and hawks around me....

Double up on the bottom, that is the best you can do...lock them in at night. I think it is how you staple the wire on that helps. Use washers, or furring strips on the area you staple, to deteer the raccoons. You'll be OK, if you can not afford it so be it... do you think in our grandparents day they used expensive hardware cloth? I don't think so. Don't feel bad about it.

I don't know about the coyotes, but raccoons are nocturnal and mostly active at night. I have never seen a raccoon in the day time that was not sick (usually rabid), so I would be more concerned with the evening hours. Since your chickens are in a secure coop at night I would think that if you used some 2x4 farm fence wire it would work to reinforce the poultry fencing.

We have the run covered with a roof, and the bottom 3 foot covered with hardware cloth, the rest covered with chicken wire! I haven't had any critters get in, it would be hard for the coons to chew through while hanging from it, but I wouldn't underestimate them either!If they are locked up at night they should be fine! We don't lock ours up at night anymore, and we have had good luck. We do check for any signs of intruders almost daily.
Brenda

I live in the middle of the woods with plenty of predators. My run is enclosed with chicken wire attached with 3/4 inch poultry staples. I do not have any problems due to an electric fence. I do like the idea of doubling up the wire though. Use plenty of staples. The chicken wire should do it. You will need to lock them up at night too.

Last edited:
I took AnKa's advice and went to home depot and got the 2"x4" wire mesh and I will put chicken wire on the bottom. I thought that was crazy though, this stuff is 14 gauge and came in a 100' roll and was so much less. maybe the cost of fabric was in all the welds.

thanks for everyones advice!!

Back
Top Bottom