1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do? (electricity)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by havi, Sep 12, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I live in Tx where some of Ike's downfall might be. I think we well just get some wind and alot of rain, but Im curious what I can do if the electricity goes out? I have six 2 day old baby chicks and dont know what I would do. [​IMG] I [​IMG] that it doesnt, but just in case..I want to know what all I can do. I have six 6 month old hens, but none that are broody.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am assuming they are in the house, right? If the elctricity goes out, gather them up and hunker down with a blanket. They will all huddle together and go to sleep. I do that with mine, and they are very happy.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:I completely agree! They are young enough to just huddle where you want them too because its warm right there. A good blanket or towel should work well.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    they'll smush together and be fine. do like stated above.

it's amazing what they can actually get through. you'll know if they are chilling, they'll shake and peep.

God bless for safety!

5. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Yes, I forgot to add that they are in in house in our garden tub. Thanks everyone. I get worked up too fast over something and just want to have a plan ahead of time.

Quote:Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    **My rant** (sorry just had to get it off my chest)

I live about 20 mins from Waco and [​IMG] that we dont get too much. My DH and I have family in Houston and for the most part everyone has left. But it amazes me how many people are MADE to stay. DH's uncle is the head guy at a major freight company and the owner has told him he has to stay and I quote "assist in recovery." But everyone else at the company has left town and whatnot. What the $*#&$??? He(uncle) told us you would be surprised at how many people have been told the same thing(not just his company.) To me that is just crazy! I mean I would be able to understand if it were along the lines of a police officer, EMS or something, but come on! To put someones life in risk, just so you can stay there and help..what hold up a wall? [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Havi you are right - that is just STUPID. Those that gave that order should be made to move here to CA, where when an earthquake happens you have no CHOICE but to stay put. Anyone with an opportunity to flee a natural diaster should have the right to do so!!! GRRRRR

8. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    That is just wrong, if its not life safety it's not that important.

9. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I just dont understand how some people can be soooo hard headed. Im watching the news and they are showing a few cops going around door to door trying to help people out and ask a few questions while theyre still there. Most of the people, that stayed, dont think its gonna get that bad. [​IMG] Are ya crazy? One lady even said "oh..well we got 'ore' life jackets. So....but thanks though." HELLO?!? Do you really think a life jacket will help yo butt in a hurricane? [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I went through such a thing in 2003 with Isabel in Richmond Va. Working on a mall project for a large construction co. in Cleveland Oh. I just accepted the decision and found out fast how bad an idea it was. I must say Isabel was very small compared to Ike. If you think about it, no electricity and you have nothing. No refrigeration, no water, no phone and on and on I could go. Almost everyone had left (good for them) and what hell I spent for a week till some of the gas stations some 50 miles west received generators to power up gas pumps. Then I left despite the threats from the boss. At that point I didn't care. Just to get water you had to wait hours in line at a near shopping center as Fema passed it out 5 gallons a day.
    Ever try to live on 5 gallons a day? Some for drinking, flushing the toilet and trying to keep some what clean so you didn't smell to bad. Luckily I did get 2 jars of peanut butter and 3 loafs of bread to live off of. Staying is a REAL bad idea. John

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by