What to do if you lack construction skills?

You might consider three rather than 2 chickens -- if you only get two and something happens to one then you HAVE to get another one (with all the attendant problems of cost, aggravation, logistics, possible health problems bringing in a new chicken, and possible hostility between them. Whereas if you have 3, you could lose one and still have two left to keep each other company. You can always give away any extra eggs, or freeze them, or bake a little bit more
smile.png
Just a thought.

Your life will be easier -- and you will have a much better opportunity to learn some basic DIY skills -- if you get a WOODEN structure to modify. A small wooden playhouse or large doghouse, perhaps? Just keep an eye out. For 3 chickens you would want ideally a 4x4 structure (you could probably get away with 3x3, but, I wouldn't do it) and it needs to be modifiable so that most of one whole wall, or one half of the roof, can hinge outwards to let you have easy access to the whole inside for cleaning and so forth. If you set the whole thing up on blocks or posts, so it is 2' or so above the ground, a) your back will thank you when it's time to clean it out and b) the chickens can use the underneath space as a place to be outdoors yet sheltered from the weather.

Frankly it would be awfully easy to cobble something together YOURSELF at those dimensions -- you would not need more than a hand saw, a cheap power drill with a few bits and driver bits, and a try-square. LOTS AND LOTS of people here have built their own coops with no prior experience and had it turn out fine. And that way you can get it exactly the way you want. Cheaper too
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

If you do get a dog house for your chickies, it would be a good idea to add a little more ventilation. They need more ventilation than a dog does.

Thank you everyone!

First off, I had been on the fence about only two chickens, because I'd never had that few before. And because I can never say no to more pets.
hmm.png
It really does make sense to get three. I actually think I may use the extra eggs to make my neighbors happy.

The Chicken-Barn looks interesting. I'd seen it before but for much much more money! It's something to think about.

If I do decide to TRY to build one myself, this is what I MIGHT be up to.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=16313-bryans-coop

Does that seem easy enough for me? I haven't held a hammer since I built a tool box freshmen year of high school.

I have silkies so my coop doesn't need a lot of "head" room because they dont fly and do not "roost" on a plank (but prefer sleeping all piled up together in cardboard boxes) ...this link will take you to a thread with a step by step photo reportage of my five screw (summer)coop (yep only five screws and no nails!) Whatever you decide , building onto an existing wall makes things a lOT easier (and more stable!)
http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/sreply/75407/t/My-Latest-Project-PHOTOS-POSTED-NOW-.html
(I didn't include the doors which I added later... for winter I have put a stryofoam sheetfloor in on top of that fencing floor for the winter and lay cardboard on top of it (dont want them eating it!) and then their cardboard boxes on top of that that they like so much with shavings in)
Diana

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, Diana, I actually think I could make something similar to your hen house! We have been thinking of putting up a new fence because the very bottom of the old one looks to be rotting... The middle part is still good, and would totally work. If not, I could glue planks together for the walls. I bet the screws were for the hinges of the door?

I wish I could use an existing wall for stability, but the coop must be 50' from other homes (legally), and any wall would be less than that. It probably will be in the middle of my yard. Say goodbye to my grass, but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom